TN Visa Degree Requirements

TN Visa Degree Requirements
  • Home
  • TN Visa Degree Requirements

The TN visa is for highly skilled workers in professions that typically require a Bachelor’s degree, post secondary diploma, or higher. There are specific requirements for the types of degrees that are acceptable for each of the TN visa professions. For example, to qualify for a TN visa as an Economist, you must have a Bachelor’s or Licenciatura degree, or higher. If you would like to determine whether your degree meets the requirements for a TN visa, call our office today at 716-393-9878 or submit an inquiry to speak with Buffalo immigration lawyer Julie Kruger for a free case evaluation. 

For most TN visa professions, the law does not require that the degree be in a specific field of study. However, U.S. Customs and Border Protection policy requires that the degree be either in the field of the profession, or in a closely related field. Sticking with the example above, that means that to qualify for a TN visa as an Economist, it’s not enough to have a Bachelor’s degree in any field – you must have a degree in a field that is either in economics, or something closely related to economics, such as mathematics or statistics.

Original degree required – When applying for a TN visa at a Port of Entry, you MUST bring your original degree with you. This is true even if your degree is very large, framed, if you are at applying at the airport, or it is otherwise inconvenient to bring your degree with you! Tips like this are one of the ways an immigration lawyer can really add value to your process. This is a simple thing that many, many applicants get wrong, and then have their application denied at the Port of Entry. And although this can be fixed easily by returning to the border with the original degree, it means time delays, money lost (for example, in missed flights), embarrassment in having to call the new employer to explain you won’t be starting when they expected because your visa got denied, and a denial record in your immigration file, which may make future border crossings more difficult. 

A degree from any country can meet the requirements for the TN visa. However, if your degree is from a country other than the United States, Canada, or Mexico, you will need to obtain an evaluation of your degree that explains whether your degree is equivalent to a degree in the United States. That evaluation must be done by a reliable credentials evaluation service which specializes in evaluating foreign educational credentials. If you are working with Kruger Immigration Law, immigration lawyer Julie Kruger will assist you to obtain the right evaluation. 

You cannot combine education plus experience to equal a degree (this is different from the requirements for other types of visas, like the H-1B visa). The only professions where an applicant can qualify based on experience are scientific technician, management consultant, and disaster relief insurance claim adjuster. If you are applying in one of those categories, you must prove your experience with evidence such as pay stubs, a letter from your previous employer, tax returns, or other objective evidence. A resume will not be sufficient to prove your experience. 

If you have a job offer in the United States, or are an employer considering hiring a Canadian citizen, submit an online inquiry or call our office today at 716-393-9878 for a free case evaluation with immigration lawyer Julie Kruger. Our extensive experience focused specifically on immigration law allows us to craft unique and creative solutions to each case we accept. We love helping our clients achieve their Dreams Without Borders!